Monday, August 23, 2010

Welcome to WannaDev

Hey, how ya doin? My name's Brandon. Nice to meet you.

The Blog:

Welcome to my new Blog, WannaDev. Long story short, this will be an outlet for my notes and musings on game design. You see, I'm a recent college graduate with a glimmer in my eye for a place in the games industry. The problem is, I've got no career experience, the same problem as most people in this stage of their careers. That being said, the video game industry can be harder to break into than most. For good reason to. Much like writing or directing, it's something few people really understand but everyone assumes they could do. With all those kids wanting to play games for a living, I imagine its pretty hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. So, I'll let this site stand as a record of my thoughts - proof, over time, of my understanding of the art-form, the industry, and my capabilities.

While I'd love for someone with a job opening to see this blog and hire me on the spot, that isn't too likely. What I can see, however, is others with common interests enjoying the read. Other wannabe devs, others interested in game design, etc. If so, I'd love to hear your responses, even those to the contrary. Games are about making fun, a subjective concept that no two individuals will see in exactly the same way. Plus, few things stimulate the creative process better than debate.

And a little about me:

As I've said, I'm a recent college graduate who, like most, is caught up in the rat race. My primary strengths are in creative writing, in which I have my degree, and game theory, in which I am currently merely an enthusiastic hobbyist. I do have experience in computers science. Just enough programming to put my ideas into rudimentary proofs of concept really. As an amateur designer, I spend a great deal of time pouring over what makes games good, fun, and successful but, for now, I've been unable to parley this experience into an actual career.

So, I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts with you guys in the future. If you're interested, please subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment